Scenario-based training (SBT) uses a script of real-world experiences to address flight training objectives. Scenarios are powerful training tools precisely because the future is unpredictable. Train Like You Fly explores the key ingredients necessary to make a good pilot, and shares practical techniques to bring it all into the cockpit. Using scenarios, both students and expert pilots will develop, practice, and rehearse their judgment and decision-making skills.
These guidelines and tips will help flight instructors expand their services to reach well beyond the FAA Airman Certification Standards and Practical Test Standards, and help students train like they fly so they fly like they train. In this book, instructors will gain insight on creating scenarios and learn how to:
- Teach systematic risk reduction
- Incorporate aeronautical decision making (ADM), and develop critical thinking skills in their students
- Employ effective grading and evaluation
- Help new CFIs gain from the most effective habits of experienced instructors
- Implement scenario-based training into their current teaching methods
Flight instructor extraordinaire and flight school owner/operator Arlynn McMahon has helped more than 1,000 students and CFIs fulfill their dreams of flight since 1984. She is a nationally recognized, professional aviation educator and leader in the field.